4.30.2008

Are we there yet?

Do you remember saying that while on long road trips as a kid? What I remember is asking that question and then immediately ducking to avoid the swinging, hairy arm of the "law" that passed overhead as a warning and a reminder that my Dad was thinking exactly the same thing. But what I'm talking about now isn't family vacations, it's Spring. Are we there yet?! I think we might have arrived...finally.
Each spring for the past seven years Jen and I have been keeping track of various birds arrivals to the feeders near our house. It's been amazing to see their consistency! They're usually within a day or two of their past appearances and rarely more than a week off. Today the Rose-breasted Grosbeak made his first appearance. Yesterday it was the female Yellow-rumped Warbler. Both were right on time. About a week ago it was the Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. The other Woodpecker species stick around all winter but the Sapsucker just makes a pass through this time each year. I guess being a sapsucker it's not nearly as interested in the large quantities of suet we put out. Speaking of suet, we had our first Black Bear raid a few days ago. We got up in the morning to find the suet feeder broken into splinters and licked clean. The dogs have been very excited to pee on it every chance they get. Most likely, we'll wake up some morning soon to find a bear sitting in the drive licking the birdseed out of the gravel. A conversation with a Black Bear is always a fun way to begin a day.
If they hold to their schedule we should be seeing Orioles and Hummingbirds within a week or two. We always look forward to these two the most. For the past three years the Orioles have built their hanging basket nests in the huge old tree outside our bedroom window. We've had the privilege of watching the entire process, from the construction project in the spring to the weening of the chicks in the summer. The Hummingbirds are potentially the most entertaining and dangerous at the same time. They're little dive-bombing, fighter pilots that make you consider wearing safety glasses whenever you're outside. There's always one or two that aggressively guard the feeders, chasing off any potential competition for the endless supply of sugar-water Jen provides. Whenever we're outside there's the constant buzzing and whirring around our heads from their in-air battles.
We're anxiously awaiting the arrival of the Indigo Buntings as well. Each year we get one male Bunting that tries to blend in with the flock of Goldfinches hanging out in the drive eating the pounds of birdseed Jen puts out for them. This one bright blue bird amidst about 40 Goldfinches. Not very subtle. I think he's got some sort of identity crisis going on.
For us, the arrival of spring is made most evident by the crazy song of the Sandhill Cranes and the sudden and amazingly resonant chirping of frogs in the ponds and marshes around our house. At night we close our windows and wonder if they haven't somehow joined us indoors to escape the cool night air.

2 comments:

Joel said...

This is such a good post. It makes me want to start bird watching.
When we were at Cono, Eli found an injured Indigo Bunting. It was a memorable experience taking care of it in the house for about 5 days before it was able to fly outside. It would sit contentedly on our finger. I had never seen such a beautiful bird up so close.

GRIMEYRUNNER said...

I'm always amazed at the brightness of the colors. They're so vivid they seem almost artificial. I've noticed I'm beginning to covet the colorful feathers. I've begun to see them as material for tying flies.