Food! I should have expected that answer from a 15 year old with a passion for his bike. It's really all Lance's fault. Yeah, that's right. Lance Armstrong is responsible for my nephews cycling addiction. That's another thing I should have expected.
So after a few weeks of waiting for Jay Ross to get ready we have begun counting miles. His will be spent on his bike. Mine will be running. Yep, I've made a bet with a 15 year old that I can run more miles than he can ride between March 26 and September 30. On the surface it sounds like a sure thing for him but you have to remember being 15. It's got the advantage of giving you endless energy but the disadvantage of lack of motivation to do something with that energy. There's another thing about this kid that needs to be said. He's legally blind. Now you're sure I'll win. You're also sure I'm pretty lame for even making such a bet. But this kid is special. He's a good pool player, he was the only kid in his class that could hit the target every time in archery class, he even rides a four-wheeler and only wrecks occasionally. A few years ago I had the privilege of spending most of a week with him on a bike ride across Iowa with something like 20,000 other cyclists. Jay Ross road all but maybe 40 miles of the over 500 mile ride. When he feels like it he's capable of doing over 80 miles in a day. He can also maintain close to 18mph for most of that distance. But again, this is when he feels like it.
Multiple times a day I get text messages from him. Things like "ru ready to forfeit?", "wimp", "ur going to lose", and the worst is "buffalo wild wings". He's not suggesting something about my skinny legs. At least I don't think he is. He's telling me what I'm going to buy him as payment for a lost bet. I'm hoping for a nice big bacon cheeseburger. Maybe with jalapenos. I'd also like a beer but I think it's illegal to make a 15 year old buy it for me. Maybe not in Wisconsin, but I'm sure it is in Iowa.
So because I don't like to lose, I want to win. But...I hope my nephew wants bragging rights (and chicken wings) bad enough that he'll spend most of this year on his bike rather than inside playing video games or watching TV. Yesterday he sent a IM asking how many miles I ran. When I said it was a rest day due to the 20 miles I ran the previous day he responded with a quote from Lance:
"There are no rest days."
I hope he means it.
4.02.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment