4.01.2008

Tar vs. Trail

I can't remember the first time I went trail running. I don't know where the trail was, what season it was or how long I ran. What I remember is the adventure of it. I had to pay attention to virtually every step or I'd catch my toe on something and end up stumbling or skidding along the dirt and rocks. With experience I relaxed and learned to look a little further down the trail. The running became more natural. Soon I was able to look up to see the beauty and activity around me. I still stumble and fall occasionally. OK, so I stumble almost every run. I just don't fall as often. When I do fall...it's usually full on sliding face first down the trail. Sometimes these face-plants result in minor damage but usually not. I've noticed when I stumble on some root or rock or phantom in the trail I look around to see if anyone saw me. I find this pretty amusing since I rarely see anyone when I'm out running. I'm sure the deer and squirrels just laugh in disgust at my clumsiness. Given what I've seen them do it's justified.
About a year ago I was out for a nice spring run. I was truckin' along with my head down watching for all the new branches on the ground when I saw or sensed something just ahead of me next to the trail. I looked up to see a black bear coming at me with his head down. He wasn't coming for me. No, I'm to skinny to be a meal. He was doing the same thing I was...just truckin' along with his head down probably trying not to stumble over all the newly fallen branches in the forest. Fortunately he realized my presence a split second after I realized his. Even more fortunate was that our reactions were pretty much the same. We looked at each other in complete surprise and stopped dead in our tracks. At this point our reactions varied...he turned around, tucked his butt under and ran, only as a bear can run, back the way he'd come. Me? I pretty much froze in my tracks. I like to think it was because I was waiting to see what the bear would do. I think I made the right choice whether it was purposeful or not. I got to continue my run, ever more alert to the beauty of my surroundings, and with another great adventure that can only be had while trail running.

No comments: