This years Trail Mix was in memory of Kathryn A. Williams
March 19, 1943 - February 12, 2008
As O.C. said at the start line, May she rest in peace.
This was my first time at Trail Mix. I wasn't looking forward to doing a race with laps on a course but I have to admit this is a fun race! Maybe I had so much fun because the Race Director, O. C. Williams, had to eliminate the biggest hill on the course due to the still present snow. According to my GPS the missing hill shortened the course to about 28.3 miles. O.C. suggested we could still do the snowy ski hill if we had a toboggan. I considered tripping my running partner Joel and using him but figured I'd have to train alone from now on if I did. In the end I was happy to have skipped the big hills. I think with the cool temps and cloudy skies I didn't properly take care of my electrolyte levels so I began getting leg cramps around mile 17. I immediately increased my electrolyte intake and found that each time I took some the cramps would go away for about 3 miles and then return. It seemed excessive, but by the end of the race I was taking 3 capsules every 20 minutes. I always find that if I cramp during a race I'm much more sore the following day and today is no exception. My quads are sore and tight but I'm happy with my race so it's fine. I had a good day and my 4:50 time was a decent pace for me. Due to the recent warm weather and rain, the course was very soft and muddy but this is what makes trail running so fun! I got to meet some good people on a really fun, fast course. O.C. and his crew put on a great event. I hope to go back next year and suffer through the big hills.
4.20.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
The hills rock! Great time even if you didn't have the enjoyment of Jim-Tobaggan. Maybe I will have to come back and kick your butt at one of these famous Midwestern trail runs.
I'm sure you could do it with little effort but we'd still love to have you back.
Post a Comment