I haven't completely lost it but it sure is at a low level. It's not that I don't want to run but more that I don't have the time to run when I want. Does anyone? I've said before that I hate mornings. I've always been this way. As far back as I can remember I've been more of a night owl. It's always been difficult for me to get moving in the morning. I like a slow start to my day so you can imagine how difficult it is for me to wake up before dawn or even after dawn and go running. Unfortunately this seems like the only time that is going to work. My body and mind want to run at about 3:00pm when my desire is at it's peak. In the past I worked at home so I could take off when I wanted and get in a run or ride. These days I have a business that doesn't really allow me to just run out the door in the middle of the day.
As I write this it all sounds like excuses. I just received the newest issue of Runner's World with an article about some Olympic Marathon qualifiers that are mother's, business professionals, etc. They're juggling children, multiple jobs, kids with cancer, many more issues than I have to deal with. None of them are pro athletes and yet they find...no...they make the time to log 80 mile weeks. Due to my lack of interest in the morning I only logged 20 miles last week. That sucks! I should be doing at least double that. I'd love to be able to do 50 to 60 a week.
I'm going to try something...For the next month I'm going to get out of bed at 6:30am. This way I can be running by 7:30, back home by 9:00, out the door for the drive to work by 9:30.
I'm gambling on the idea that if I just get up and don't really think about having to go running, I can settle into the idea in that first hour while I sip coffee and watch the birds. Maybe if it becomes sort of a habit eventually it will be less painful and maybe even become enjoyable.
What do you think? Is it realistic or doomed to failure?
4.06.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Pete,
I really hope it works. THere have been seasons in my life when I saw 6am every day; for months. I thought, "Hey, now I'm a morning person." Then, when the thing that required my getting up at 6 disappeared, I realized I am not a morning person.
I woke up at 6:30 Monday morning just to realize it was my day off. I ran 9 miles in the afternoon. Today (Tuesday) I got up at 6:30 and ran 3.5 miles. I was a little fatigued from yesterday and the snow took over in the woods. But...I still got up and ran! We'll see how it goes.
Post a Comment