On Memorial Day Joel and I fought through clouds of mosquitoes and some ticks for 50k on the Ice Age Trail. We both felt pretty relaxed the entire day so neither of us felt a need to push the pace. We weren't fast but it was a good run and we finished strong. After the run we took some venison roasts to his house and had a much needed high protein meal with our families.
My wonderful wife made it possible for me to take two days off this week so I was able to get in almost 17 miles on Thursday. I had her drop me off at an IAT trailhead down the
road from our house and then I ran home. I like this system. There's no cheating when the only choice is to run home. The mosquitoes were so bad I really couldn't walk much so I have them to thank for taking two minutes per mile off my pace from Monday.Monday, 7:00am - 50k out and back on the IAT.
31.3 miles in 6:41:14 = 12:49/mile
Avg. HR - 137
Thursday, 9:15am - point to point on the IAT.
16.74 miles in 2:58:44 = 10:40/mile
Avg. HR - 150
Weekly Total: 48.04

7 comments:
Good writing here. I stumbled on your blog while poking around blogdom. Liked it enough to go back and catch up.
Looking forward to more.
Get back to flyfishing. I've found very few ticks in the water although getting there can be a problem!
David Ray,
Thanks for the nice comment! I was trying to come up with something new to write about while running this morning and found myself to be a little brain dead. Keep checking in, I'll find inspiration eventually.
troutbirder,
I think you're right...no ticks in the river and the waders pretty much take care of the walk in. I'll get two weeks in the Arkansas River while chilling before Leadville 100 in August. Not much time for trout until then unfortunately.
Thanks for checking in!
hello! i found your blog through...well...can't say i remember, but it's good to read about another WI runner on the IAT! While i'm a bit south from you, i can attest to the friggen TICKS! I like to run with my dogs but those poor guys end up having to sit still for about an hour while they get cleaned off.
happy trails!
nwgdc
nwgdc,
My dogs are now too old to run much but when they did join me we found that even when they had Frontline on them they still got ticks.
Glad you're enjoying the IAT. It's 50th Anniversary is this year!
Happy running and tick hunting.
ahh yes, the tick hunting. on occasion they've gotten so big that simply petting the dog knocks them off, all bloated and gray. then comes the paper towel and the spoon to squish them. yeck...i just got queazy
you're a brave man. I'm not willing to take it that far. I just put the bloated ticks in the trash or toilet.
For me the shocker is finding the blood trail around the house and wondering what the cat has killed. The I realize there's a squished tick stuck to my sock. UGLY. I love living in the woods, really, I do.
Post a Comment