6.22.2008

100 Push-up Challenge

For the past few weeks I've been checking in on David Ray's blog See Dad Run. A few days ago I noticed a link in one of his recent posts to the web site www.hundredpushups.com. I've been trying to discipline myself to do some form, any form of upper body exercise for quite a while with virtually no success. So when I saw this challenge I knew it was exactly what I needed to stay motivated. It's a relatively short challenge (perfect for my short attention span) and only needs to be done three days a week. The only other thing it needed was to be difficult enough to make me suffer. There doesn't even have to be some kind of reward at the end. The suffering is my reward. Kinda sick isn't it? I'm sure most of you understand.
Given that it fit my criteria - short duration, it contains the word "challenge", and no reward beyond my suffering - I'm all in.
The first step of the challenge is the test. How many good push-ups can I do in one shot? The quantity you do for the test will determine the level at which you'll do the rest of the challenge. I managed 35. I think I could have done maybe 5 more but I would still begin the 6 week challenge at the same level unless I managed 45 or more. So three days a week I'll do five sets of push-ups with a designated amount of rest between each set. The quantity of each set increases until week six when I'll have to do more than 56 in one shot. If I'm able to achieve each weeks quantities I'll take a few days rest at the end of week six and then take a shot at the 100 push-up goal.
The timing of this is perfect. I'll hopefully be able to complete the challenge about two weeks before Leadville. Even if I can't do 100 push-ups I'll go into Leadville with a more balanced fitness. I need the core and upper body strength this will provide.
Anyone else care to join the fun?

14 comments:

David Ray said...

I didn't do the test today. Neck still hurts. Not that it matters much. I'll start tomorrow at the lowest level and go from there.

I think I might could do 2 if I was healthy.

nwgdc said...

I just did the test on Friday! I did in fact push myself into those last couple pushups and finished at 46...and I'm still paying for it today. I'm interested to follow your progress!

SteveQ said...

I haven't done a 100 push-ups lifetime. Unless you count getting up after a spill on a trail. Then it's 500, easy.

Anonymous said...

Oh man, another sucker for something David through out there.
I saw this challenge and thought about doing it...still thinking about it...
Heck, I can visualize myself doing that many pushups...that's good enough, right?

David Ray said...

I tried the first day today after lunch running. Not pretty. I'm not giving up but my 100 will be a bit more than 6 weeks away.

Joel said...

OK. I'm in. I'll start.... tomorrow.
My biggest hang-up is that it will make me sweat right before bed time.

GRIMEYRUNNER said...

Rahn,
Excellent work completing your virtual hundred! Your dedication (and attention span) is astounding.

David,
I figured the six weeks is best case scenario. I figure anything we can do is improvement given the rapid shrinking of my upper body.

Joel,
I'm sure you could squeeze this in at the library while studying. Just drop right there and crank out your sets. Nobody will notice.

Diane said...

I'm going to try. I'll also be following the 12 week version (minimum) of the "6 week plan".

GRIMEYRUNNER said...

Diane,
This is just what you need...more on your plate as you get ready for your big trip. Be careful or you won't have the strength to push the button on the bear spray.
Glad you're joining the push-up fun.
Have a great trip!

Diane said...

What's the status on your push-ups? Me? I haven't yet begun... oops...

GRIMEYRUNNER said...

Diane,
I've been lazy the last two weeks. I've had some foot issues so I'm not running much. I've been back on my road bike so I can at least keep my legs and lungs strong. No good excuses for not doing my push-ups.
I've got a small climbing wall on my back porch and I'm thinking I need to get back onto that. That works my core and really everything but triceps. It's also less boring than push-ups.

Diane said...

That's awesome that you have a rock climbing wall. I'd love that!

Sorry to hear about your foot stuff, but the biking will be good cross training and maybe refresh you for your return to running.

GRIMEYRUNNER said...

Diane,
I think you're right about the time on the bike and away from running. I do need the mental break.
You know...with that home gym you're making in your garage it would be quite easy to build a bouldering wall. My porch is about 20 x 15 and I'm only using something like 20 x 8 and less than half of the ceiling. An unfinished garage is perfect for home climbing walls. More fun than lifting weights and will prepare you for future trips out west. It will also make your home the gathering place for all your climbing friends.

Diane said...

Good idea re: the climbing wall in my garage. I'll have to add it to my to-do list (after I pay off all the OTHER work I've already completed). Rock wall is more fun than concrete repair (money-wise)!