6.18.2008

Argh! I've Been Tagged.

I knew if I existed in blogdom long enough it would happen. Honestly, I've been dreading it but I figure if I choose to spend time in this playground I should at least make an effort to play by it's rules....whatever they are. I suppose I could just refuse to participate but then I'd get that fabled seven years of bad luck. But I don't believe in luck so what do I care?!
Actually this tag isn't too bad. I've seen some with rules attached that were more work than completing the tag. This one is just five simple questions. I can do that. I probably won't pass it on to anyone else but I'll answer the questions.
So...here goes....

1. How would you describe your running 10 years ago?
That's easy. Non-existent. Ten years ago I was climbing rock and ice full time in Minnesota, Colorado, and Utah. I really didn't begin running until 2000.

2. Describe your best and worst run/race experience.
My best experience was at Leadville last year. I didn't finish but I've never had so much fun in my life!
My worst experience...hmmm. I've had bad runs, bad races, generally miserable experiences but I wouldn't call any of them the worst. Nothing that bad has happened. It's trail running. Even the bad experiences are amazing.

3. Why do you run?
I run so I can run ultras. I suppose I also run for my long-term health but I began running because this whole concept of ultra running intrigued me and once I began I got the bug and now there's no turning back until it runs it's course in me. I'm guessing that won't happen for a while. I hope it never happens.

4. What is the best or worst advice you've been given about running?
I think the best advice has been that in a 100 mile run it's all mental after 50 miles. I know I can do 50 and even 70 but everything after that is new territory for me. The real battle is with the mind. You feel horrible, your tired and you have to turn around and do that entire thing again. It's easy to let your fatigued mind take over and introduce too much doubt. I have to show up at the start with no doubt (no, not the Gwen Stephani band) in my mind that I can finish. I'm not quitting until someone tells me I have to or until my body refuses to move any further.
The worst advice would have to be that you can't do 100 miles without solid food. Other than orange slices any other solid food makes me feel sick and slow. Liquid calories make me feel refreshed. I like refreshed better than puking on the side of the trail.

5. Something surprising that not many people would know about you.
That's a tough one. If there's something not many people know about me it's probably because I don't want them to know.
Oh, I know....I hate cilantro. There's no better way to ruin a good Mexican or Thai meal than to pile on a bunch of cilantro. I can usually kill the taste with a few beers and some tequila but that's probably not a surprise to anyone.


Well, there you have it. I've fulfilled part of the tag. I'll risk the bad luck and not pass the tag along. Sorry to interrupt the chain.

2 comments:

David Ray said...

Argh was my first reaction as well. :) Seems like such a chain letter thing. But being running related, I went along. Plus I get to write more about me.

100 miles without solid food seems like a tough one. Definitely an "experiment of one" thing going on there. I like food, but I've never gone past 35 miles.

GRIMEYRUNNER said...

Food...I've seen people eat bacon, ham sandwiches, candy. All of it turns my stomach. For me it's oranges and Accelerade.
If you can do 35 miles you can do 50. It just takes longer.