6.04.2008

UPDATE!

A few months ago I made a bet with my 15 year old nephew that I can run more miles than he can ride. (If you want the full story please read the post I made on April 2nd.) We have until September 30th to rack up as many miles as our legs can handle with the loser buying the winner a meal. Fortunately I have a job that I think pays well enough to afford dinner for a hungry teenager. It sounds like I've resigned myself to losing this bet doesn't it? Honestly I'm hoping to lose. The point is to get my nephew to spend the summer on his bike and not in front of the television. So far it seems to be working. We officially began counting miles on March 26 and as of today he has 608. I have 307. He's killing me. I'm reminded of this on a daily basis (yes, every day) when I get a text message giving me a mileage update and asking for mine as well. Once I send him my miles his response is usually a request for my surrender or a reminder of how much he can eat.
He's set a personal goal of 1,000 miles. I think my only chance of winning is that he'll hit the 1,000 mile mark and decide that's enough. Even then I'm not sure I can catch up by the end of September. I'm counting on at least one 50 mile training run, 100 miles at Leadville, and the 50 mile fun run we do in September on the IAT to help get me someplace near his miles. I don't mind losing but I do want to prove to him that regardless of whatever limitations we might face we're capable of far more than we're given credit for. I think he's already beginning to see that as he gets closer to his 1,000 miles in far less time than he thought it would take. I really hope he achieves his goal and just keeps riding right past it leaving me holding the check for dinner.

No comments: