6.25.2008

Looking for Answers

Last week we did our first really big training run of the season. 50 miles at Afton State Park. It hurt at the time...and for a few days after...but I felt pretty much recovered within a week. Being stubborn as we are, Joel and I couldn't bare the idea of missing another Marathon Monday so exactly a week after the 50 we arrived at Afton ready for yet another 26 miles. And once again, the weather was perfect. We got started around 7:30am with a cloudless sky and a projected high around 75 degrees. We decided we'd run the Afton Trail Run course for one 25K lap and then do the course in reverse until we arrived at the campground hill road. Once at the road we decided to do laps until we had enough miles to hit the marathon mark before heading back to the car on the main paved trail.
The first 25K was surprisingly easy. My legs felt great on both the ups and the downs. I felt strong with a good amount of spring in my step as we ran the long downhills. Once back at the car we took a few minutes to reload bottles, drink a Coke, and get out of the sun. The last 10 miles was really difficult for me. My whole body hurt. I was once again fighting off cramps but the Endurolytes earned their keep. Joel seemed to get stronger with each mile while I became more sore and frustrated. Fortunately I've got a long weekend at the cabin coming up so I'll get an apparently much needed rest. If I run this weekend it will be short. I'll most likely spend the weekend eating and hopefully beating Jen's Dad racing sailboats. Since he owns the two little boats we'll be racing each other in I'm sure he'll either pick the faster one or he'll tie a bucket under mine. It's OK though, he's getting kinda old and needs the encouragement now and then.
Back to my suffering...
During the run I drank four 20oz. bottles of Accelerade, one 20oz. bottle of water, I had 6 Endurolytes, 1 gel, and a half can of Coke.
As I think back to a year ago, I realize I was always carrying a third bottle of nuun as a back-up. It was rare to arrive back at the car after 25K with much left in any of my bottles.
This year it really seems like I've had a more difficult time during some of these hard efforts and I also feel like I'm not recovering as quickly.
Following is a list of my running supplements:
1st Endurance Optygen - taken daily
1st Endurance MultiV - taken daily
Accelerade - 40oz. every 10 miles - 120 calories per 20oz. (this is what I should be drinking not what I have been)
nuun - one 20oz. bottle as a back-up to the Accelerade. (again, should be, but not doing)
Endurolytes - taken as needed. Basically 1 or 2 each hour.
Power Gel - Tangerine, caffeinated. Joel thinks it smells like bug spray. I think it tastes like it. I carry these as bonk prevention.
Endurox - 20oz. as a recovery drink. I typically drink another 20oz. before bed after big efforts.

I'm putting this list out there because it's really the same as what I did last year, except that I don't think I'm consuming enough Accelerade during the run. The problem is that I feel like my body is suffering more this year. I'm sure part of the issue is with my daily diet, in that I don't think I'm eating enough. I've noticed over the past two weeks I'm craving bad bar food. you know, spicy chicken wings, greasy burgers and fries. These cravings suggest I'm not getting enough fat or salt in my diet. I typically have a simple diet, low in fat, whole foods. I eat very healthy foods but maybe not enough. Inadequate quantities of both fat and sodium are probably impacting my performance and my attitude.
Am I missing anything obvious or am I somewhat on track with the idea that I'm just lacking some fat and calories?

9 comments:

keith said...

I think when you start looking into how much fat is too much, etc., you can really open up a can o' worms!

You and Joel are both really strong runners and seem to have your nutrition/hydration dialed in well.

I often feel like it's a matter of how I feel on the day, rather than some science that dictates what I will end up eating/drinking.

Whatever the body craves...that's what it needs! I'm continually surprised at just how much my body loves good FATS! Goes against the grain, but I don't often crave a salad when I'm doing a lot of running...more often than not I want meat and oils! FUEL!!!

Happy Trails! Looking forward to seeing you at Afton next week!

Anonymous said...

You're a kindred spirit. The needs for water and assorted nutrition are exactly what I aspire to achieve. I also try to adhere to a healthy, balanced diet. I figure all of our cells have fatty membranes. With all the cell damage that occurs with ultra efforts, it makes complete sense to crave fatty foods. Also, our many hormones (like the stress hormone cortisol who's primary function is recovery) are sythesized from cholesterol. Oh, those proponents of low fat, low cholesterol diets. I think that is for non-exercizing populations and slow walkers. Eat up and be merry!

David Ray said...

"Eat, Poppa, Eat!"

Got to have fuel. You're getting in some great experimental runs to tinker with the formula. Change the diet and see what happens.

"Well, I guess hard times flush the chump. Everybody's lookin' for answers... Where the hell's he goin'?" Everett

GRIMEYRUNNER said...

Thanks guys. I do typically try to have a somewhat low fat diet and as Keith said that can be a problem. Eat what you crave. I like that.
I hadn't considered the cortisol issue. Adrenal stress did enter my mind yesterday. This hormone/adrenal stress idea could be a major part of the problem both with my recovery and my attitude.
Thanks again.

chicks43 said...

I struggle with craving so much fat too. Let me know how your experiment goes, I will see if I can follow suit.

On another note: It also makes sense to try new running routes. You have been running the same routes so many times and that may be taking a toll on your head and therefore slowing you down and defeating your head. You shouldn't be in so much pain at the end of these runs. It sounds like your training is working, but make you need to rest more and try more variety in your runs.

Just a thought...

GRIMEYRUNNER said...

Jake,
I think you're right about the pain. These weekly marathons do take their toll. I think at this point in the training I'm better off shortening most of the runs. We're planning another 50 for mid July and then it's time for two weeks of taper and two weeks of rest.
You're reading it right about my head also. I think that might be the biggest issue. This weekend at the cabin and lots of food will be good for me.

Tea said...

Ok--got a question about the Accelerade. I used to use it, but I hated the lumps. Do you have that problem? Or are you using the pre-mixed stuff? So, I switched to Carbo-Pro, and I love it. 224 cals per two scoops. It's unflavored, and I mix it with Nuun or gatorade (whatever is available), mixes almost instantly. Just a thought. You may have already tried it.

GRIMEYRUNNER said...

tea,
nice to hear from you.
I haven't had the lumpy problem with Accelerade but I do occasionally with Endurox.
224 per serving?! That's reason enough to give it a try. My only concern would be the electrolyte content but as you said it can be mixed with nuun so that solves that issue.
I really appreciate the info.
Pete

nwgdc said...

i'm fairly positive that i only got it two weeks ago...although i got my blood work back today and it came back negative for Lyme! i'm on doxycycline for 3 weeks, so i sure hope that takes care of it, but at the end of that time i'd like to have more blood work ordered to make sure it's gone. i don't want to take any chances with it long term, that's for sure. your wife has my condolences...it absolutely steam rolled me this weekend. it was kinda scary.