It arrived! I got home from work last night to find the mailbox stuffed with my info packet for Leadville! I grabbed a beer, inhaled dinner and opened that beautiful white envelope. The contents dumped out into my lap in a jumble of paper. There's nothing different from last years packet other than a few minor rule changes. For instance, if you require an I.V. you're not allowed to continue. Seems like a good idea. I'd think if I got that bad I probably wouldn't want to go on. I say that now but if someone stuck an I.V. in me and it helped I'd probably be willing to roll the little stand all the way down the trail.
So I've opened the packet, dumped it out, looked through the pile o' paper, and once again checked cut-off times for each aid station. What I realized while doing this is that the arrival of this envelope is potentially one of the best forms of exercise. As I flipped pages and did calculations for pace and cut-off times my heart rate climbed. The problem with this "exercise" is that I tend to do it late at night. I headed for bed around midnight feeling like someone had dropped a couple NoDoz into my beer. The beer consumption helped to ease the nervous jitters but I still had a rough nights sleep. I dreamed of running. Now that I think about it I also dreamed that Pakistani President Pervez Mushaaraf is a doorman at a hotel in Karachi. He seemed pretty angry about it but I guess if you go from President to doorman you have a right to be upset. Anyway, in my running dream I was pretty fast. Not unrealistically fast but the kind of fast I hope to be. I think I'll count it as positive visualization.
When I woke up this morning around 8:30 feeling like my head was in a fog I decided I need to treat that white envelope like coffee. I can't have but one cup, or look, per day and never after 3:00pm. Tonight I'll try to resist the power of the envelope and get a good nights sleep. Tomorrow I get to wake up at 5:00am to do my third Marathon Monday. It will be the first test of my late night visualization technique. I hope it works.
5.11.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Hmmm... question for the day: if you were unable to see your dreams realized as a "president", would you rather be killed or demoted to a doorman?
Positive Visualization through running. Very good! Runner's World did an article about just that in March or April. Speaking of Runner's World and self-promotion (not that anyone was) check out page 74 of May's issue. It might be interesting for some... Miss you guys and wish I could join you for Marathon Mondays.
Diane,
Very good point! The doorman job sounds pretty good when put that way.
Jake,
I'll check out the article in RW. We miss you as well and wish you were here for a marathon or two.
Post a Comment