8.01.2008

Go West, Old Man, Go West


It's time! August 3rd I get into the car and head west. I'll be hauling a mountain bike, fly fishing gear, a little camping gear, and everything I could possibly need to run Leadville. Oh, and I'll be taking quite a bit of work stuff along as I'm making a detour to Salt Lake City for a trade show. The trade show will be the 8th to the 11th with two days of meetings on the 6th and 7th. The "meetings" on the 6th will most likely be done while tied into a rope somewhere high in Rocky Mountain National Park. I actually thought my climbing days were over but as I re-enter the world of selling outdoor equipment that includes mountaineering boots and rock climbing shoes, I find I'm slowly being sucked back into the climbing world. The climbing world isn't that much different than the Ultra world. Ultra runners and climbers are both part of a small, sort of underground group. The difference lies in their bodies. Runners are all legs and lungs. Rock climbers are all arms and chest. (think Popeye with more tattoos) Mountaineers and alpinists are a wonderful mix of both.
Trade shows...four days of walking on concrete, giving the same sales pitch, over and over, until I begin to mix up my words. The first day I'll have my first beer during my last appointment. The third day, I'll be sharing beers with my dealers by lunch. I love this industry!
I'll head to Leadville sometime on the 11th or early on the 12th. This will give me a few days to camp and fish for trout on the Arkansas River before the hype of the race kicks in. This fishing time is critical. I need the quiet time in the river to begin to get my brain ready for the race. Right now my mind is nowhere near where it needs to be for the suffering ahead. Joel and I had a talk a few weeks ago regarding this. I told him I didn't think I would race at Leadville this year. It's been a stressful year for my family and me and I'm just not sure I've got anything left for Leadville. I feel like I've used up my ability (or desire) to handle more stress. As the race approaches I truly don't know what I'll do. I'll see how I feel when I arrive in Leadville and how I feel after a few days in the river. It is amazing what the slow, methodical motion of casting a fly rod can do to my outlook. Honestly, at this point I'd trade the race for time in the river. My mind needs the quiet of a river more than the nerves of 100 miles.
If I get to the start and I just don't have it in me, I'll switch gears and become crew and pacer for Joel. He has just finished taking his bar exam and apparently has a few demons to rid himself of. I think he's more than ready to do this race. I'd even venture to say he's driven to do this race.
I'm sure I'll be spending my share of time in the Provin' Ground coffee shop so I'll try to post a few photos along the way.

8 comments:

Joel said...

Your insight is amazing; both toward yourself and me. There are a few demons i NEED to conquer.

Diane said...

Ahhh... so your comments regarding Denali and Granite Peak are educated and experienced comments, huh? Cool!

My aunt and uncle are volunteering at the west visitor center at Rocky Mt. Nat'l Park... say hi if you see Peg or Earl (Dave) Farmer from Florida.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do about Leadville. It sounds like you're in tune with your body and mind (and will be even more so once you relax with your fishing).

Take care!

GRIMEYRUNNER said...

Diane,
I haven't been on either Granite or Denali...just experienced with both types of climbing enough to understand the challenges each offers. I honestly think with your level of fitness, you would have no problem with Denali. Obviously, you have no control over weather but if you can ski across the glacier and then trudge up and back down with a heavy pack, your all set!
My wife and I have a good friend that has guided it and another that runs the medical tent at base camp. Good people for you to meet.

Tea said...

Enjoy the park! We go up there quite a bit, so if you see a woman with two teenage boys, say hi!

Or is that too generic?

I agree with D. You sound very in tuned to yourself physically and mentally. It's always a strength to know your limits.

GRIMEYRUNNER said...

Thanks tea!
a woman with two teenage boys...I'll be saying hello to a lot of people. I'll either make some new friends or scare them off.
I usually stay in Loveland with some friends. I'll be in the park with a friend that has a cabin in Estes.
My wife and I were married 7/31/00 in RMNP with Long's in the background.
Sounds crazy hot out there lately!

Tea said...

That is so COOL! We were married just outside of RMNP (Estes Park) and spent our honeymoon in the park. (That was back in 1993). We actually stayed at the Stanley Hotel because my husband isn't the camping-type; then hiked during the day.

It has been hot here lately. Above 11000ft, it's alot cooler than in the city, but it's still warm for the mountains.

SteveQ said...

All year, I've been thinking that Joel needs you to push him to his first finish; now I see it works both ways. Just relax and take it all in. 30 hours on the trail is always better than 30 hours wishing you were on the trail.

GRIMEYRUNNER said...

thanks Steve!
good advice that is greatly appreciated.